top of page
Power of Attorney and Getting a Will with First Choice Family Lawyers in Beverly Hills | Londi Gramelis

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is a divorce and how do I get one?
    A divorce is the legal recognition of the dissolution of a marriage. After you have been separated for at least 12 months you can file for divorce. It is possible to obtain a divorce even if you and your spouse lived under the same roof during a part or all of the 12-month separation period. Londi Gramelis and her team in Bevery Hills are family law professionals who are experienced and can be trusted with every aspect of your separation and divorce.
  • I am wanting to separate from my partner, and we have children. What is the first step?"
    Family dispute resolution (also known as mediation) is required before you can start court proceedings involving children, unless your case is urgent or involves some exceptional factors such as violence. The Court usually requires a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner before a case about children can proceed in Court. Londi Gramelis is a sought-after family lawyer and accredited mediator who is known to deliver favourable and fair results to her client's.
  • What should I do if I have concerns that my ex spouse might take my child/children overseas to live without my knowledge or consent?
    It is not uncommon for parents to have concerns about their children travelling overseas. What is more concerning is when this occurs without your knowledge or consent. In particular, if there is a genuine fear that the travelling parent may not return to Australia with your child/children AND the proposed travel overseas is dangerous and not in the best interest of your child/children. Londi Gramelis has experience in obtaining what is called an "Airport Watch List Order" where the names and details of your child/children will be placed at all places of departure in Australia - both airports and sea terminals. We will need to file applications and other necessary documentation to support your concerns. With over 15 years helping parents in such circumstances, we are trusted and experienced lawyers giving you peace of mind and constant support.
  • Why is a Will so important? Is your Will valid? Do you have one?
    If you die without a Will, you die “intestate”. This means, without a Will, no-one knows who you wanted to benefit from whatever property you may own and it is distributed between your next of kin which is usually your spouse/children. Your assets would be distributed according to a pre-determined formula with certain family members receiving a defined percentage of your assets, however - this may NOT be what you wished for. It is therefore important to create a Will, update and review it from time to time, particularly when circumstances change (births, deaths, new marriages, spouses etc). Londi Gramelis and her trusted team are experienced and efficient in ensuring your Will is exactly what you desire so you and your family are protected.
  • What is a Power of Attorney?
    As the NSW Trustee & Guardian state, "A Power of Attorney is a legal document in which you appoint the person or trustee organisation of your choice to manage your assets and financial affairs while you are alive. You may, for instance, be travelling overseas and want to give your attorney access to your bank accounts to pay your bills or manage your finances. Alternatively, it can be useful to have a Power of Attorney if you become unwell and are no longer able to manage your financial affairs. You can make an Enduring Power of Attorney which will continue to have effect after you have lost your capacity to self-manage. Making a Power of Attorney does not mean that you will lose control over your financial affairs. It simply gives your attorney formal authority to manage your financial affairs according to your instructions. Your Power of Attorney can be revoked at any time provided you have the capacity to do so. A Power of Attorney only deals with property and financial matters, and enables your attorney to sign legally binding documents on your behalf. It does not give someone the right to make decisions about your lifestyle, medical treatment or welfare: these decisions are covered by Enduring Guardianship."
  • What is an Enduring Guardian?
    An Enduring Guardian is a person you would appoint to make decisions for you about your health, your lifestyle and difficult medical choices when you are no longer able to do this for yourself. They can also make decisions about where you should live and the kind of medicial treatment you should receive. They become important in your life when you are suddenly not in a capacity to make these decisions for yourself. An Enduring Guardian is different to a Power of Attorney as a Power of Attorney only grants authority to your attorney to handle your financial and property matters - it does not give them the legal rights to make decisions about your medical treatments, your lifestyle and any services you me need at home. Londi Gramelis and her team can confidently help set up the right documentation and guide you through this process.
bottom of page